Monday, June 13, 2022

Joe Hunt Magneto on the Harley Davidson 45"

I apologize for not taking more pictures but on the other hand I didn't want this to be a tutorial.  I have installed a few over the years but it's been awhile!

I had traded for a brand new  Joe Hunt Magneto for a unit twin Triumph a few months back and have since sold my Triumph project.  I don't like these mags on Triumph unit twin engines anyway, they stick out too far. 

So I was sitting on a brand new Triumph magneto with all the bells and whistles-a little over a grand- but I really needed one for our Harley flathead.  I was thinking about it one day and it occurred to me that it's just a magneto- why not convert it to a Harley flathead set up?

I called Joe Hunt and was told," it's just a magneto-of course it can be converted"!  Long story short- I sent it to them and a few months later had a beautiful flathead magneto...very cool!  It only cost $200 including the mounting base.  It was originally a keyed magneto with a polished case but they suggested not having a key because of clearance issues.  The just switched everything over to a new case with no key.  I was very happy with my experience dealing with this company and would use them again.




Getting started, I hadn't moved the bike out to the garage after Rods and Rails.  No muss..no fuss



I had to remove the stock timer but before I removed it I set the motor on the correct timing mark.  A little easier that way.



Show bikes can be a pain.  I always wrap my tools in tape so I don't scuff the finish on the cad plating.


 
 Here is the finished install.  I may need to remove the magneto again to get the timing right, we'll see...........I think it's close though ?  I have to install a kill switch and a few other things before i fire it up.