Saturday, December 3, 2022

My Last Best Dog....


 Prince Indy's Ace

My last best dog.  OK, I confess.  They are all my last best dog.

We bought Ace for my granddaughter and he belongs to her and my wife, I just take care of him.

We had a scare last week and a quick trip to the vet where he got checked out and he's doing fine!
Things like that make you aware of the impact that the loss of a dog can have on people, especially my people, who are very attached to him.

We bought him to replace Golden Ace who was a very aggressive Golden Retriever and not a good fit for our family.  He was rehomed and is doing great.

These things always seem to germinate in my mind...should I get another dog ?  It is a long term commitment and has always been a part of my life.  We were sitting on the back porch and I "found" a litter of black lab puppies that were papered.  I say "found" because you can find anything almost quickly as you think it...not sure that is a good thing?

We went to look at the litter and as soon as we got out of the car Ace came running to us, he was only 7 weeks old.  The other puppies were hiding under benches and whatever they could find.  I told my wife, "this is the one".  She got a little stirred at me because we were supposed to evaluate every puppy and then think about it...not hardly.  I wrote them a check and we went home and surprised Grace with him that afternoon.




He's a good dog and always has been.  Never a growl or snap at any of us.  He destroyed the yard for the first year then settled down.  He graduated at the top of his class in obedience school.  Good dog !

I have had many last best dogs, but I really think that this is my last best dog?