Wednesday, May 25, 2022

A Motorcycle Saga..........................

 





An Interesting Motorcycle Tale ( if you are interested in such things )

I have been advertising for a BMW R51/3 frame for a few months.
My wife bought me the beginnings of a 1953 BMW for my birthday.
I planned on just building a Bitsa out of it. A bit of this and a bit of that that would come together as one running motorcycle.
In the motorcycle collectible world matching engine and frame numbers make a huge difference in the end value of the machine when built.
When I received the engine my wife had purchased for me there was damage to the front generator case. Instead of making a big deal out of it I went to my most used but unfavorite auction site and found one. However, it came with a 1952 R51/3 engine block/ case. I bit the bullet and bought the whole deal. I set the engine case aside and proceeded with the engine build.
I think highly of Jeff Moore and was honored that he would rebuild my engine and transmission.
I received a call from a fellow motorcycle aficionado late one night saying there was a correct frame for sale on Facebook. I immediately called the seller even though it was even later where he was located. Keep in mind that I had not looked at the auction pictures or details, I just immediately called the seller and committed to purchasing the frame sight unseen.
Here is where the plot thickens...after committing to purchase, I went on Facebook and looked at the ad. Yes, you are correct ! The frame number and engine case number that I had bought for parts are an exact match !
Strange but absolutely true !
I took the 1952 engine block to Jeff and he is using the parts from my '53 engine to build our new matching number engine.
I do have most of the back story but it's lengthy. Perhaps another day ?
I do not know who produced the picture I used but it's cool and I acknowledge your skills