Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The 1946 Harley WL Build......

This is a very rough draft of how the '46 WL came about, some steps are missing but it gives you an idea of how it was built.
I think that building a stock bike might be easier, I have built those also.  I guess that I have always liked custom motorcycles.  This one has taken on several different looks since its inception.  I think that I will sell it and focus on my BMW R51/3 for now.....who knows?


Engine and frame together for the first time.  I always remove the paint on the frame where the engine rests.  Tighten the back bolts down tight and be sure to shim the front motor mounts so there is no strain on the cases.


Getting ready to install engine in the chassis.  My back always pay for it later!


Peaking at at Harley Davidson engine number 46WL1819


I had Craters and Freighters package up the engine that I bought from Steve Schackman.  It was shipped from St. Louis, MO and got here in SOCAL in good shape.  I have used them several times for shipping and really like their company.  A bit on the expensive side but what isn't these days?




I actually really dug this look before spending several thousand on paint !


I found an N.O.S. front fork leg..not cheap my friends


Just kinda looking at everything with the N.O.S. wheels.  I changed the gas tank to 41-46 style later.






This is where I got the seat idea from.  This is a build by Billy Lane of Choppers Inc.




And here is my bike with the same seat, Billy fabbed up a seat mount and sold me a board track seat...thank you Billy Lane




I changed the handlebars later to get a spring return throttle.  Who knows how much headache I would save by sticking with a plan!


Still playing with a Jack Dale style build


Oh yes, more changes to a sprung solo seat.  The bracket is kind of neat as it goes down through the pogo seat hole on the frame with a long bolt and is secured at the bottom.    

A lot of time and money here folks.  Just waiting on my magneto from Joe Hunt and its finished