Friday, May 27, 2022

Installing the engine back into it's original frame

I was very excited to get my engine back from Jeff Moore.  It turned out very nice indeed!
I am not always as patient as I should be and have destroyed my back more than once lifting Indian, Triumph and Harley Davidson Knucklehead motors into frames.  They are heavier than they look.  I once carried a BSA engine a half a block but I digress!
I thought about it half the night after bringing the engine home.  I knew it wasn't grossly heavy because I had just wrestled it out of the car and onto my rolling cart.  It seemed that I could make a little shelf next to the frame and then lift the engine onto the shelf and just ease it on into the frame.  Well not quite that easy.  The engine has to be tilted onto it's nose a bit to clear the frame.  Anyway with a bit of careful maneuvering we got it in the frame with no scratches to the beautiful black paint !!
I do not know when engine number 527466 and frame number 527466 were last together but by many small miracles they are back together and I am very thankful to have a matching number BMW R51/3.






 It's been many years since I purchased the large black and white photograph of a 1952 BMW R51/3 but I now am very honored to have a viable motorcycle project in the works.  I have started with a lot less and built many bikes over the years.  I'm not sure why I'm wired that way but I just am................