Tuesday, May 24, 2022

BSA Gold Stars In Louisiana

 I built a bought a bunch of BSA Gold Stars when I lived in Baton Rouge, LA

I knew a very cool guy there name Jim Robertson who ran British Bikes Ltd. who was gracious enough to sell me some machines.  Thank you sir!

I never met up the Rougaru though I encountered some situations where a person might wonder what was going to happen next!

One fine day I went to look at a couple of Triumph motorcycles and it was in some little town in the middle of nowhere.  I could not find the address even though I had mapped it before leaving home.

I inquired at a house and they said, Oh yes, just go to the end of the street and follow the rode up the hill.  Now this was straight out of an Alfred Hitchcock film with a huge house on the top of the hill.  

I met the guy who was a bit different but I shook it off and went forward with looking at the motorcycles when he pulled out a second motorcycle which I also wanted to purchase but hadn't brought that much cash with me.

He invited me into the house to further discuss the deal. I usually keep my distance when I'm off in the hinterland but I wanted to make my trip worthwhile.  It was a very creepy house with all the curtains closed.  Yes it was getting a bit weird! I told him that I wanted both motorcycles and would pay cash for one but needed to write a check for the second one and that I was good for it.  He said "don't worry about it, I'm the sheriff".  In Louisiana you just don't play with law enforcement and he made sure I knew that.  In Louisiana sheriff can be delegated by local police and they aren't even always what you would think of as the law. I think some may remember Steven Seagal playing cop in New Orleans. No worries, my check was good!

I was very happy to go outside and load the motorcycles and get out of there.  It was just a strange deal all around.....

I bought and sold a lot of motorcycles while I lived there but there were some strange areas that you had to go into to get them sometimes.  I guess that could be said of a lot of places though.