Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tritons

To some a Triton is the very epitomy of cafe racer or road racer excellence.  Most of the early builds used a Norton Wide Line Featherbed frame and a pre-unit Triumph engine and either a Triumph or Norton gear box.  The idea was, and still is, that the Featherbed frame is hard to beat for handling in a vintage motorcycle and that the Triumph power plant was both reliable and easy to come.

Here are a few pictures of some Triton builds including one I owned a couple of years ago.  Mine was built a little off and I really didn't like it much so I sold it to Jim Robertson of British Bikes Ltd. in Louisiana.  Jim is a wizard with old Brit bikes and he really made it into a nice machine.  He tried selling it back to me but I was short of funds and missed out.  If you live in Louisiana look Jim up as he is hard to beat when it comes to wrenching and restoring old Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons'.