Monday, November 30, 2015

Harley Davidson Indian Wars


1933 Indian Four Cylinder



1929 Harley Davidson JDH

1946 Harley Davidson Knucklehead


1946 Indian Chief
 
I guess this is an old theme, who built the better motorcycle....Harley Davidson or Indian.  The bikes pictured are from the same time periods, the Harley JDH vrs. the Indian Four.  That would be a pretty tough decision but it gets a bit easier when deciding between a 1946 Knucklehead or a 1946 Chief.
The Chief was still a flat head side valve motor with a 3 speed crash box transmission while the Harley Davidson was an OHV engine with a four speed transmission that was much more advanced.  So why is it so hard to decide ?  I have a complete '46 Indian Chief that I am restoring and I just picked up a good start to a '47 Harley Knucklehead.  I can only keep one..........