Monday, March 5, 2012

1953 Harley Davidson KK




Here is a 1953 HD K Model flathead, this is a very rare bike as it is a KK model which was a souped up K.  It had a bottom end very similar to a racing WR and eventually became the KR.

I bought this bike out of Maine and it was a bit of a mess.  I thought about restoring it but came to like its patina.  I put a Bates seat on it and basically did a mechanical restoration so it was rideable.  These bikes had the very cool M53 carb with the bomb-site venturi.

I sold it to a French collector.  He had a shipping company pick it up on an 18 wheel car carrier, the guys couldn't even figure out how to tie it down.  The last I saw the bike, it was laying on its side like some whipped dog.  I just walked away.  Too cool of a bike for some rich investor.  It made it's way onto E Bay about a year ago but I didn't have the funds to buy it back. I hope someone ended up with it that appreciated it.