Thursday, November 29, 2018

Starting The Moto-Cancer Project


 As I move forward with The Moto-Cancer project I will need some motorcycles.  I need one good old bike from the teens, twenties or thirties to do some fund raising rides on.  It needs to be a motorcycle that is built to ride and not a show bike.  When I went through my cancer treatment I made some decisions that I would not make at this time, but I didn't want to leave my family to sort through my stuff, so I sold everything. 

The whole idea of the Project is to help cancer survivors and their families in the post cancer phase of their lives.  Sometimes  financial support is needed because even with medical insurance a person can be financially devastated.  In some cases a person may just need a space to recoup their lives and start living again.  This varies with the person and their age.  I know for myself I have had to consider that my years are numbered.  In the worst case a family may need funds for final arrangements which can be very expensive and emotional.

I am at the very beginning of this journey and haven't figured out all the details.  Some of the things I would like to do are as follows.

: Do a crowd funding campaign to raise initial finances to properly set up a nonprofit 501(c)3  These finances will be used for legal expenses and any other expenses to do a startup charity.

: Do long distance rides with sponsorship to raise funds.  It may turn into a group thing but not like the Cannonball.  More of an original Cannonball Baker experience where you are on your own.  I will be looking at sponsorship but it's too early at this point.


: Sell antique motorcycles on consignment with part of the proceeds going to The Moto-Cancer Project.  The owner of the motorcycle can donate the bike completely or allow me to sell it for them and give a portion to the Project.  I have been buying and selling motorcycles for a long time.

:  The same idea as the consignment sales is to obtain one motorcycle per year and do a raffle.  I would need the bike here so we can do events with it and sell raffle tickets.  I hope to be up and running by next spring at Born Free Dixon Antique Motorcycle meet.

I do need a motorcycle to ride and bring to events so if anyone has an antique bike that they would loan me or sell on reasonable payments I would like to hear from you.  I am a pretty transparent person and easy to google. 

I spent many years as a General Building Contractor in California and then worked for the Fire Department.  As I transitioned from construction I worked as a temp for Mare Island Fire Department in Vallejo California.  At the same time I volunteered at American Canyon Fire Protection District.  I was then picked up as a full time permanent firefighter at American Canyon Fire where I worked for several years before transitioning into Vallejo Fire Department which is the department I retired from due to major injury. 

During my time at American Canyon Fire is about when most departments were looking at thermal imaging cameras to find people in buildings that were burning.  A real fire is not like a Hollywood fire...you can not see your hand in front of your face in a real smoky, hot fire.  The department did not have the budget to purchase one so I took it on myself to do a public fund raiser to purchase a thermal imaging camera.  With the support of then Fire Chief Keith Caldwell, we were successful and purchased a camera at great savings to the department.  I believe it cost around $15,000 at that time.

I have spent many years in service of others and would like to continue to do so while I have the strength and time.  I know a lot of folks have been affected by cancer in one way or another.  I am going slowly here to make sure everything is put together properly to help the most people as possible.

You can contact me directly at 951-992-9839 by phone or text.  You can also send an email to classicmotocycles@gmail.com  Please keep it positive