Saturday, December 1, 2018

Old BMW Motorcycles



I have been trying to narrow down my search for an antique motorcycle to use for The Moto-Cancer Project and really hadn't considered BMW.  I was thinking they were too new to get any kind of positive support.  However, a BMW R51 would be a least 64 years old if I found a 1954 R51/3.
The R51/3 has many advantages over the earlier models but especially a full size front brake.

I have always liked the plunger frame BMW's as they have an elegance that is right there with a skirted Indian Chief.  The design is clean and efficient.

I have owned several BMW's from the 1950's and 1960's and was amazed at how simple they are to maintain.  Even adjusting the valves is straight forward compared to vintage British and American motorcycles.   The other great advantage they have is the absence of a chain which requires constant oiling and adjustment.  I love older British and American motorcycles but I'm not exactly young myself.  As you get older reliability becomes a huge deal.  I have pushed many bikes over he years and it doesn't exactly thrill me any more.