Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Rangoon Ricky...Only Skin Deep Tattoos



My good brother and long time friend Rick "Rangoon Ricky " Bordeau out of Vallejo California.  He runs Only Skin Deep at 622 Tuolumne Street, Vallejo.  He has been tattooing long before tattoos were cool with the main stream folks.

Back when I first got tattooed you were either a biker or a sailor.  Now every man, woman and child is getting inked.  I think it's a general requirement in Hollywood to have at least three !  I got my first tattoo from Lyle Tuttle Jr. when he had a shop on Tennessee Street, Vallejo.  Harley Davidson wings...they're a bit faded out now but I sure was proud.

When I was a young man of 27, I did a tattoo apprenticeship with Rick and had a small shop for a while.  The guy forgot more about the mechanics and art of tattooing than most people know.  And yes... he rides a motorcycle every day that the weather allows.  We made our own ink from raw pigment, built our own machines and needle clusters and in general learned everything that could be taught about the subject.  Some things can't be taught !