Monday, June 3, 2013

Vincent Black Knight



The Vincent Black Knight was a later rendition of the series D Rapide.  The bike was fully enclosed with shrouds and the idea was to build a bike that would keep the rider dry.  They are pretty interesting and from what I have read, it was a pretty good touring set up.  The rear piece hinged up for access to the rear wheel as shown in the picture.

There was a patrol of Black Knight motorcycles used in Orson Wells' 1984.  The thought police rode them.  The producer wanted something rather ominous looking and I guess he got that right.  Pretty amazing how many things that Wells wrote about came true to a degree, think about it.....

I had the opportunity to purchase a Black Knight when I was living in Albuquerque about 8 years ago.  It was being advertised along with an old BSA and I went to check it out.  The BSA was an old restoration that wasn't too cool and the Vincent had been neglected for years.  I looked them over and made a deal to buy them both for $42,000, but I stipulated that they both had to run.  In hind sight that was pretty dumb

I made an appointment to come back and help him get the Vincent running and if I remember right the BSA ran. When we worked on the Vincent for a few minutes it didn't take much to figure out that it would run.  I kicked it through a few times and then it fired right up !!  It sounded wonderful and was spitting acorns out the tail pipe.  I guess some squirrels had made a home in the pipes. 

After I got the Vincent running the guy wouldn't sell the bikes to me as he said the BSA now would not start.  I was pretty upset but what can you do.  I had $42K in my pocket and was ready to load the bikes in my truck.  I saw where he later sold the Vincent for around $78,000