Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Inspiration to Run



My love of motorcycles started with my Dad, Clyde Calvin Drennen.  He rode a 1942 Indian Chief after World War II.  He bought the bike used after getting out of the Navy and rode it until he was in a serious accident outside of Bismark, N.D.  He was run off the road and woke up in a barb wire fence with critical injuries.
The accident crippled him for life, he had broken his back and mangled his right ankle which was held together with silver screws.  He always walked with a heavy limp for the rest of his life.
He always talked about his old Indian whenever motorcycles came up, but forbade any of us to ever own a bike.  Of course that was all it took.
He had a small Honda later in life and rode it around, I guess once you feel the wind in your face it is hard to forget.  He once rode that little  bike from Miles City, Mont. to Billings in the middle of a winter night.  On top of that it was December with a Montana snow storm brewing.  If I recall that is around 150 miles on a 90cc machine. He could be tough when he needed to be. 
I guess that is one reason I would like to do this Cannonball Run on an old Indian, kind of a memorial to my Dad.