Saturday, October 8, 2011

You Can't Wear Out An Indian Scout



I woke up this morning being fully committed to riding an Indian Scout in the 2012 Cannonball Coast to Coast Run.  They always said you "you can't wear out an indian Scout...", well I guess I will see for myself.  Looking at the design of the motor and the compactness of the whole unit it just comes across as solid.
The primary itself is very rugged with a gear drive instead of a chain primary, I don't see how that could wear out at all.  The bottom end would have to be built to perfection so that it is dead smooth.  This would be to eliminate as much vibration as possible and to ensure longevity.  I would like to not only ride this bike the 3800 miles but continue to do so after the run.
Just looking at the ratio of Indians to Harley Davidsons is a little daunting and almost made me decide on a JD.  The JD is a very good machine and may outrun and out last the Scout, but as I said we'll see.