Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Legendary 'Big Sid' Biberman





Big Sid Biberman is THE Vincent motorcycle man.  He started riding them when he was a young man and was impressed with the power they delivered.  He is not called "Big Sid" for nothing, he needed something that had the horse power to carry him.
He and his son Mathew built the Vincati a few years back, it had a Vincent engine expertly wedded to a Ducati chassis.  No easy task. 

Mathew wrote an excellent book about the experience called "Big Sids" Vincati.

I spoke to Sid years ago when I was considering purchasing a Rapide for the princely sum of $17,000
My concern was that the numbers were not the correct, mythical, 1900 digits apart for the frame and engine.  He told me that the numbers were insignificant and to buy the bike.  A true Vincent fan would not care about such things and go ahead and buy the bike and enjoy.  Of course I was way to smart to do such a thing.  Try finding a running, rideable Vincent for that price now.

I did come across a Vincent Black Knight when I lived in Albuquerque.  The bike had been sitting for years and did not run.  I made a deal with the owner that I would give him $27.000 for the bike IF we could get it running.  I should have handed him the $27K and loaded it in my pickup.  I helped him get it running after a few minutes.  A squirrel had evidently taken up residence in the muffler, it was spitting acorns out the tail pipe.  Of course after we got it running, it sounded so good that the guy would not sell me the bike !