Monday, April 9, 2012

CPR and Choking Skills Reminder


This is a reminder to either keep up your CPR and choking skills or go out and get certified, you can save a life.  During my career as a firefighter I performed CPR on hundreds of people but never was in the situation where I needed my skills to save a choking victim.  After I retired I kept up my skills and became certified to teach CPR and basic first aid, I even taught these skills at a nursing school for a short time.

You never know when someone will start choking and quick assessment and action can save their life.  Our granddaughter Gracie and my daughter Stephanie were at the house this morning and my wife Laurie was feeding Gracie a hard baby biscuit.  She was just sucking on it because at nine months she can't really eat  it, a piece of the biscuit broke off and she stated to choke on it.  Laurie immediately took her out of the high chair and inverted her as in the class she took.  She was patting Grace on the back but she couldn't breath.  I told Laurie to give her to me and I inverted her head just like I always had taught others to do but instead of patting her back I gave her several sharp downward blows to her back and it gave her some relief.  She still couldn't breath so I did it again and the piece of biscuit came loose and was in her mouth where Laurie removed it.  I have never been so glad to hear a baby cry !   I honestly believe that this was a very close call and a reminder of several things.  Don't lose your perspective in life and keep your CPR and choking skill current !  You could save the life of someone you love.