Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Working On The Sportster



I have been working on the '69 Sportster for the last couple of days.  I have been waiting on clutch parts so I tore into the frame work of the bike and found a bunch of issues.  The rear fender was hard up against the tire so I modified it but cutting some off the bottom.  I will most likely go with a stock fender later but right now I have to stay focused.  The rear brake was a mess and the rear shocks are too short so I need to either install struts or a stock shock.  I hated the front fork so I removed it.  I think I will go with a later, cleaner looking front end with a spool wheel.   I just found a conversion kit to go from a 7/8" X 5" neck to a 1" X 7" neck so I can use a later set up.  I will shave the legs later when my son gets further along in machinists school.  Never thought Nick would be a machinist but he really likes it and no doubt I will get some benefit as well.
I think I will keep it a bit tattered looking and just get it in mechanically excellent condition. 

Gotta go, the UPS truck just came !