Wednesday, November 16, 2022

BSA 441 Victor


 Let me start by saying that I have never owned one of these, I have come close...but it didn't happen.

I am about to get educated on the ins and outs of this historic motorcycle.  It was developed in the 1960's to replace the iconic Goldstar.  Jeff Smith needed more to keep winning and BSA delivered with the 441.  The GP was not sold in the states and this was the bike that Jeff Smith was winning on.

The reason that I have never owned one is that they are  notoriously hard to start and have massive compression so when you kick start it you had better get it right! 

 I have a friend who has two Victors and he wants me to finish the wiring  and electronic ignition conversion on the one that he wants to ride.  Lucas electrics were used on these vintage machines and if you are acquainted with" The Prince of Darkness" then you know that the electrics can be improved with modern electronics.  I have found that for myself, personally, I prefer sorting through the original electrical system and they usually are fine if maintained in good order.  Electrical tape doesn't solve every issue,  good clean and tight connections make an amazing difference.  Take each connection apart and clean the oxidation and crud off the wiring and then use dielectric grease when re-connecting.

No doubt I am about to get schooled.....