Friday, November 18, 2022

Bulls and the Grey Bucking Horse

 


I was reminiscing about some things and remembered a certain grey horse.  Most of the injuries that still pain me were not given by riding motorcycles. They came from riding horses. Anybody who rides much at all is coming off eventually. 

Years ago my wife worked with a girl who had a grey horse that was unridden. I had some success with horses as a kid and I told her that I work with her horse.

I don't remember the Grey's name but I'll call him Grey for the purposes of this adventure. Grey was turned out in a large pasture with two large Charolais bulls.  Not ideal, but that how it was.

I started Grey from the ground and got him used to the lunge line and saddle. I had the lunge whip to get him to move forward (never striking him with the whip), but I would also use it to chase the bulls off when they became too aggressive. 

Everything was just splendid...up until I actually tried to ride him.  I got him used to everything and would put weight on his back by laying across him. I even got him used to me sitting on him. I got a bit ahead of myself when the day came to move him forward with me in the saddle. 

I mounted him next to the fence and just sat on him for a few minutes. I then asked him to moved forward...which he did in a very big way!  He took a few steps at the walk and then proceeded to take off at full gallop with a few good bucks thrown in to makes things interesting!  He was bucking so hard that I was launched into the air so high that I was flying upside down and saw him between my legs as he bucked the saddle clean off his back. Well, I had to come down and come down I did... on my face and shoulder.

I layed there dazed and hurting.  Of course the bulls were the only spectators that day and they decided to get even with me for chasing them off with the whip.  They were coming pretty fast and I was pretty busted up but I knew it could get worse!  I struggled to my feet and I guess that surprised them because they ran off...

My shoulder still hurts and I can still remember that day vividly after 40 years!