Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Bullfighting...

I recently made a statement that might have raised some ire, there are only three real sports .  Motor racing, mountaineering and bullfighting.  These sports can leave you severely damaged or dead.
I might concede that bullriding with the accompanied bullfighting are a true sport. Bullriding is decidedly in the bulls favor, the rider is tied to the bull with the bullrope and hopes to spring free of the beast after a glorious 8 seconds. However,  this is not a decided fact which is why I never tried it. The bull then does his best to kill you which does happen on occasion.  But, I digress....
I have never been to a bullfight but I do have some experience with bulls.  No, not the Spanish fighting bulls who are bred to kill you, ....the "domestic" type.  You never really domesticate a bull, you can demasculate them and make them a steer but that is a whole other thing.

I have climbed and I have motor raced unofficially. I have never been to a bullfight, but I have been chased by Black Angus cows with calves which will leave you maimed or dead as well.  I have also experienced real bulls up close and personal with no fence between us, they are fierce and they will kill you. 

I would like to see one before it's over.  I may not even like it ??

If you have any desire to understand this sport then read Ernest Hemmingway's, Death in the Afternoon.
Also the website thelastarena.com on the breeding of these bulls.